+2 hours to GMT / Greenwich Mean Time.
We highly recommended to rent a 4×4 or 4×2 vehicle with navigation.
The 12,4 km unpaved road to Emhosheni River Lodge consist mainly of sand, gravel and stones. It’s about 6 a 7 hrs drive from Johannesburg to Emhosheni River Lodge.
SIM Card in South Africa
At the airport you can get a SIM card or anywhere else for that matter.
You will just need to show a copy of your passport, and proof of where you are staying.
220/230 volts AC, 50Hz. Plugs are square three-pin, fused or unfused.
Most plugs are 15 amp 3-prong or 5 amp 2-prong, with round pins.
If an adaptor is called for, consider bringing one with you, although they can be purchased locally. US-made appliances may need a transformer.
Adaptors and transformers
Plug adapters and transformes can be found in many luggage shops at the airport or Automobile Association outlets. Plug adapters are very cheap and available in all the local supermarkets and even convenient stores.
USA – guest bring your own transformer with you from the states.
Visitors from some countries require visas while others don’t
It’s advisable to to visit South African Department of Home Affairs website or contact the SA embassy in your homecountry about the requirements of visiting South Africa.
Nationals from some countries can visit South Africa for up to 90 days without a visa, while other can visit for up to 30 Days.
- Valid passport, must be vaild for a minimum of 6 months from the time of departure from South Africa and at least one page must be available for stamps.
- Unabridged birth certificate & valid passport for children under 18.
A new immigration law is coming into effect on 1 June 2015.
- Child + Both Parents: Parents must produce an unabridged birth certificate and a valid passport.
- Child + 1 Parent: Parent must produce an unabridged birth certificate, a valid passport and a court order / death certificate ; affidavit confirming the absent parent has given permission for the child to travel.
- Child + Guardian only: Guardian must produce an unabridged birth certificate, a valid passport, court order / death certificate / affidavit confirming the parents have given permission for the child to travel.
Yellow Fever entry requirements
A vaccination against Yellow Fever is required for those who pass through the Yellow Fever belt of Africa or South America.
- Restaurants and bars, 10% to 15%.
- Porters at Airports: R10 per piece of luggage.
- Petrol station: from R5 up.
- Parking attendants and security guards: from R5 up.
- Please note that Balule Nature Reserve is situated within a malaria area, and people entering the area should consult their doctors regarding anti-malarial prophylactics.
- Drink plenty of bottled water.
- Avoid sunstroke or sunburn; protect yourself with clothing, hats and ultra-violet barriers.
- Avoid using perfumes or aftershave.
01 January New Year’s Day
21 March Human Rights Day
03 April Good Friday (Friday before Easter)
06 April Family Day (monday after Easter)
27 April Freedom Day
01 May Workers Day
16 June Youth Day
09 August National Women’s Day
10 August Public Holiday
24 September Heritage Day
16 December Day of Reconciliation
25 December Christmas Day
26 December Day of Goodwill